After thinking through and letting our referral sink in, I have had so many connections and AH HA moments. I know I mentioned that our new son was born on the day my mom passed away. She died 5 years ago and he was born on the 5th anniversary of her death.
I have a daughter who has a birthday 2 days before and I have a son that has a birthday 2 days after (so yes, we will have 3 birthdays in 6 days here at our house). Does that make sense? I use to say that my kid's birthdays were the joy that sandwiched the pain but now... there is joy even on that sorrowful day.
I went on a Women's retreat in early November. I was having a quiet time outside (looking out into the gorgeous smokey mountains) and I was just bawling crying. Our retreat was on the landscapes of life that God had taken us through. I started thinking about how my parents passed away 18 months apart and how my kids were born at the same time. My daughter was 6 months old when my dad passed away and my son was born 2 days after my mom died. SO, it was like I had one foot in the greenest of pastures and one foot in the desert. It was such a hard time. My mom had Alzheimers and then cancer took her life. It was so hard and so dark. I started thinking about my longing for them and how I was an orphan even though they had raised me until I was an age that I could care for myself. I still have longings. I still want a mom and a dad. I started thinking about my orphan in Ethiopia at that moment and thought... in some small way (VERY SMALL!) I know what it is like to not have a mom and a dad. It does feel like rejection even for me. I want them and they don't come... they never will. I suddenly was filled with joy that the Lord would let me experience those feelings so when Abel ever starts to feel that way I would be ever so sensitive to him.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE VERSE Isaiah 61:3 "To give them beauty for ashes,The oil of joy for mourning,The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness"
I could see a shift in my spirit over the last 6 months... there was such healing coming to my heart through this adoption. Then I just had an "ah ha" moment during that quiet time that this was the BEAUTY FOR ASHES! Just the connection of being left as an orphan (again, in a small way) and how the Lord has given me a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. I closed my eyes and saw this image...
I saw my parents grave and it was as if flowers were blooming there.
The crazy thing is 2 later BABY ETHIOPIA was born ... on the very day my mom left this earth ... my flower ... My beauty for ashes!!! My parents being part of the soil in which those flowers are blooming because of the gift they have given me in their death. That I will connect to the orphan in this precious baby's heart.
BEAUTY FOR ASHES!
Still letting it all sink in :-)
Sunday, December 9, 2007
BEAUTY FOR ASHES
Posted by A Team at 7:34 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




13 comments:
Wow! What a beautiful story. I'm sitting here crying! Congratulations on your referral! The little things are everything. Thanks for sharing.
I am also adopting but it's a lot slower in Canada! I found your blog through this crazy blog world of adoption!
So, Abel is PRECIOUS!! I love him and am so excited for you guys! I was really just coming to your blog to tell you that and instead am bawling as I read your post!! My parents moved to Bangkok 16 months ago - and, even though I know they're there, I sometimes feel like an orphan, I think it's the fact that I can't touch them, or jump in the car to go see them, and sometimes don't even get to talk to them for weeks (and even a couple of months!!) at a time! And, one of my best friends is going through the process of losing her mother this week. It is so true - God does give us what we need. He's giving Abel parents that will love him unconditionally and He's giving you all a sweet little baby that you can love on and show Him the love of Christ! How exciting!!
God is so cool. We know that in the midst of a situation, but we always SEE it after. Congratulations on your referral.
Small world! I danced all through high school with Becky's sister Abby and her mom was the school nurse for a while. My mom knows Becky's mom pretty well. They have a lot of mutual friends and we went to the same school. That is so wild!! Also I have to say that I was just on your blog yesterday. I found it through the Bottomly's. That is so exciting about your referral. You have a beautiful family. Can't wait to hear another update!
True or False I am a weepy mess.
True.
The little things are important! I love hearing about all the things the Lord is showing you since receiving Abel!
Again, Thank you Jesus for ABEL!
PS. Tesfamariam (Silas' birth name) means HOPE of mary...Abel and Silas sort of have the same name...well at least same meaning. Love it.
I love these connections that God has been revealing to you - and you will find more! How amazing that even before time, God has been weaving Abel into the story of your life. Just reading your blog makes me more in awe of Him. Again, congrats - he is one gorgeous boy!!
Ok, real quick...
I was just looking back at your blog in effort to try and figure out when oh when Julies referral ls coming. On November 10th when you were almost second on the boys list you wrote this at the end of your post.
FULL OF HOPE!
Aaaamazing.
Ancelets!! I am soooo sooo excited for you guys. I love you so much and am so thankful to the Lord for your new precious gift.
What an incredible gift from the Lord. Absolutely amazing! Abel IS a gift from the Lord and our Fathers timing is perfect - he makes no mistake! The little things ARE important. Blessings my friend - prayers that this wait goes quickly as you wait to pick up your sweet ADORABLE son.
beautiful-- congratulations. I can't wait to see pictures of the little guy! What a blessing.
Wow! Just wow!
Amazed,
jen in mi
What a great post. I can't see my typing through the tears. What an amazing way to find the positive out of heartbreak. Congrats on your newest child!!
A great post (I know it's old). Even better now for you and your hubby that you guys are traveling soon! Congrats!
Post a Comment