Here are a few more questions... feel free to answer the one below as well...
1. How much does extra baggage cost to bring to Ethiopia? Just wondering because our church announced donations for us to bring to HH ET.
2. How did you communicate with loved ones? If you used AGCI and stayed at the UNION hotel, how much was internet access?
3. Did you bring your laptop?
4. Are their internet cafes there? We are thinking of not doing the phone thing but communicating by e-mails... so just curious about this.
5. Did you bring a hair dryer? what kind of adaptor did you need? Could I buy it from someone if they are finished with it?
THANKS so much for answering all my burning questions. We don't have a travel date yet but I thought these are some things I could think through while we wait :-)
Monday, January 28, 2008
MORE QUESTIONS
Posted by A Team at 7:37 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
I can't really answer any of your questions, I just like you knowing just how fabulous I think you are:)
Make it a great day!!
We brought 11 bags with us (mostly donated to HHE) and were sure we'd pay a FORTUNE for it. Michael just asked the airline straight out if they'd not charge us because we were bringing relief donations for an orphanage and they did it! We weren't charged one penny for all that luggage! So, I don't have a clue what the norm is, but I would definitely ask them to not charge you!
My husband and I are just starting the journey of adopting from Ethiopia, we are doing this through AGCI. We woul love any advice, etc.
We are looking to connect with other families that are going down this journey
Hope to stay in touch
We didn't take extra bags, so I got nothin to offer you there.
The hotel we stayed in had a blowdryer already in the bathroom... They also had adaptors right there in the room for something like a flat iron (That I use EVERYDAY)
We did not take our laptop. I know there are internet cafes, but we didn't use them...I don't know how reliable the internet would be. It was spotty even at the Sheraton....
We communicated with our family via phone!! We purchased phone cards from www.alosmart.com We gave the phone cards to our family BEFORE we left and gave them a number to call us at! It was really cheap for them to call us, but not cheap for us to call them. They used the phone cards and called us in the evenings Addis time....it was GREAT! HIghly recommend the AloSmart phone cards. :)
I've heard that you can call the airlines ahead of time and tell them that you are taking humanitarian aid and they will waive the extra charge for the baggage. Hope that's true!!
Good luck with getting all the info. I'll be checking back so I can find out this info for myself too :)
We stayed at the Union Hotel and we needed an adapter. We got it at Target and it said Africa on it. It was a 220 v adaptor. (if you google adaptor for ehtiopia it will tell you ) There was no hair dryer in the room. We used the internet at the Union Hotel. It was around 30 cents per minute to use. It was not always working. Almaz let us use her internet a couple of times too.
We are so happy for you and your son. God speed
The Marshall's
One more thing. We only got Aljazerra to watch in the hotel. (?spell)-English news program. We wished we would have brought some movies for late night.
The Marshall's
Good questions - it's seems like a long way off for us but it is still fun to think about traveling...
Post a Comment