Sunday, February 24, 2008

Amazing Moments

Ted and I kept asking each other while we were in ET.. "Tell me your top five moments". It was so hard to do. OF COURSE, #! is meeting Abel. I loved sweet smiles he gave to us. We had moments we will forever cherish looking into his eyes and him looking into ours during this trip. He gives the sweetest smiles and is a talker. So of course that is both of our number one!




I wanted to share a few others. There are so many... many I do not even have pictures of but will forever remember in my heart!

So... here are a few that I can share with you...


Right before we left, I got an e-mail that a girl needed PJs, undies and some shoes. I went out and got those things for her. Sweet Savanna had donated some shoes that were the perfect size for her. On our second full day there, we went through our donations and I was able to give them directly to this precious girl. My guess is that she is around 12 years old. She had tears in her eyes as I gave them to her. She hugged my neck with such gratitude. She had tears of joy and she kissed me so sweetly on my neck. My eyes filled with tears during our embrace and we both held on. What a sweet moment.






I absolutely loved the hotel staff. Especially Rosa. They were so warm and I just spent time talking with them each day. I was so sad to tell them good bye. Rosa and I are going to write through e-mails. I had sweet moments with these girls in the hotel lobby.



This is Rosa :-)


(This is kind of a funny story. I found this really cool African shirt at the market place and I thought... how fun! So I wore it the night we went to our Ethiopian traditional meal. When I came back the girls giggled because it's a shirt that you always wear with a skirt. They said "You only have on half the outfit". They were giggling at me. I thought "How stylish ... I'll wear it with jeans" and they were thinking "Silly (american) girl.. she messed up a good outfit"



I enjoyed getting to know the families we traveled with. As we were parting at the airport I said to one couple "We'll always have Ethiopia".. haha. I saw it on a t-shirt on Cafe Press but it is so true. We will be forever connected because of this experience.


Our last night in Ethiopia we went to a traditional dinner and watched traditional dancing. I enjoyed EVERY MOMENT of this time. It was so fun! Ted and I loved the food. The entertainment was amazing! We were able to really visit with Almaz during this time. ... and Julie too. Julie is our case worker... she happen to be on this trip. It was so much fun to just enjoy each other's company. It was a delightful night!






This little girl grabbed onto my legs at Enat Alam (an orphanage is Addis). She held onto my legs and I held onto her. We swayed and giggled. She ministered to my heart as much as I did to hers. The children of Ethiopia are beautiful... the people are beautiful!



Our sweet Abel was at Enat Alam for the first 3 weeks of his life. There are two different locations of Enat Alam. We went to the one where Abel was on the very last day. The director knew him. He said "Tesfaye!" when he saw him. He asked if we wanted to see his bed that he slept in while he was there. He took us back and showed us his crib. I was over come with emotion. I just started crying. I was so grateful. I am still processing through all we saw and how our son came to be with us. What an experience...



Of course, I loved taking pictures of every one's kids. I loved finding Maya's tickle spot. I loved seeing the older kids play in the court yard. I loved passing out the candy that S's mom sent for me to give out. I can't post pictures of those moments in respect for those families for who those precious kids belong to.
Thanks for reading. Abel and I are just sitting here. We are so off right now. I just slept 4 hours (from 6 to 10) and now I am wide awake. So what do you when you are wide awake when you should be fast asleep... YOU BLOG! :-)

17 comments:

The Redman's said...

Your stories and pictures melt my heart!! You really seemed to have connected in Ethiopia.. you can tell it filled your heart...along with Abel!!!! He's so precious and I can't wait to meet him! I miss talking to you. :)

-Suzi

Coming to Amharica said...

Oh Tracie,
I am just soaking up every single word! You certainly don't look jet-lagged in any of those photos ;) Tesaye is sooooo adorable! Just wait until Baby Beeler and he are back together again! While you were gone I thought of you many many many times and shot prayers your way. Thank you for ALL the pictures and for giving my "well-fed dude" some love while you were there ;) I keep repeating your "dude is well-fed" quote! You crack me up!

Dee Dee

Elizabeth said...

Hi Tracie -

I absolutely LOVE the way you are documenting your trip. It makes it so fun, especially for those of us who have yet to travel because we get a really fantastic preview of what's to come! Abel is just so HAPPY! You can tell that his soul is really joyous. Can't wait for more!

Liz Lyons

Rebecca said...

Look what happens when I don't read blogs for a weekend! Catching up on your trip and it sounds so sweet. I love that Abel is finally home with his family!

John and Heather said...

Wow, more tears! I love reading about your experiences. Abel is too cute; what a beautiful smile:) Thank you for sharing so much of your heart with us. Thank you again for the pictures of the boys! By the way, loved the African shirt even with jeans; too funny!

Heather

Laurzie said...

This just blesses my heart so much! Beautiful! I LOVE your new family photo on the top right of your blog! I love your stories of ET and Hannah's Hope, and seeing photos of sweet Almaz :) Abel is just gorgeous. I can hardly wait to meet him.
I dig the half-outfit, too!

Brian and Autumn said...

Tracie -
Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us all. It is so fun and encouraging to get an idea of what that moment might be like for us. The pictures are great, we really appreciate you sharing such a special experience.

Stacie said...

Welcome Home! (I missed a few posts) Abel is just adorable! Love all the pictures!

nell ann said...

Everything is so precious! I have such anticipation in my heart to meet our little one but such peace knowing that they are being well taken care of and loved on by every other family who travels!

Again, everything is just too precious for words. : )

Anonymous said...

Wow...note to self, do not read blogs at work, tears ruin make up! I am so happy for you and your family! I just cannot get over how incredible and special your trip must have been. What a wonderful treat to read about it and see some of the beauty! thanks for sharing..~melanie

LISA said...

WoW!! He's is so adorable.The people you meet definetly touch your heart for a lifetime.

Our family said...

Hi,
Your trip sounds fabulous!! I am really interested in the orphanage Enat Alem, as that is where our little pea is. I was wondering if you took many pictures there. If you could e-mail me, I'd really appreciate it-marybhanson@aol.com.
Thanks,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Tracie-

Reading through your last few posts have been like reconnecting with old friends. I too loved the staff at the hotel and it was fun to see pics of them now. My memories of HH ET are so alive that I am almost physically hurt in the remembering and the longing to go back. I don't know what it is but it gets in your blood (Ethiopia and HH that is) doesn't it. Keep posting about your time..... I am living vicariously through you and others who are about to travel as I wait until I can go back.
Welcome home.... Abel is sooo handsome!!!
Traci

Anonymous said...

Once again thank you for sharing this piece of your life with us.

Bloggin' Robin said...

Hey - let's wear African outfits together to church one day! I think I still have mine! Ummm... now, honestly, I don't think I have ever seen you in a skirt?! Would you have bought one to match that shirt?! I do not think so! African Shirt and Jeans fits Tracie A. just fine! Yes, I also BLOG when I should be fast asleep -

Bloggin' Robin said...

I'm wondering if I'll ever get to be a "first post" for one of these entries - you have quite a following! People are intrigued and fascinated with your journey! So inspiring!

Anonymous said...

this is so beautifull God bless you and your family!!!!

and this is for John and Heather Needles and HIllbilly Rockin' Robin.

africa is a continent not a country...... this is ethiopian tradational dress not african and u can not find it any other african countries......its like... Kilt( scottish tradational dress) taking it as European dress..

tnx