Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Ethiopian Scoop







I LOVE this about the Ethiopian culture. They get the saying "It takes a village". The Ethiopian scoop is when you are just holding your baby and some one comes and scoops him up. Strangers want to hold your baby in Ethiopia. It's so sweet. Of course, we would freak out if that happened in America... but it is just part of the culutre there. I was eating at the hotel (which the food was
so good!) and Abel was a little fussy. Next thing I know, Lilly, who works at the hotel, has him in her arms and is playing with him. The staff from the kitchen comes to the window to get a look at him and he's being passed around.
This would happen at Hannah's Hope too on the days that we came back to visit. The special mothers would scoop him up. They love those babies. They are absolultely gorgeous women (on the inside and out).




4 comments:

Holli said...

I think this is the first time I have left a comment but have been reading a while...... Thank you for all the info. We can't wait to go ourselves.... it will be a while....
Your son is GORGEOUS! Congrats!

Nicholas said...

I've heard about this many times and am so excited to be witness to it myself sometime soon! He is way too cute!

John and Heather said...

You know I love looking at your blog everyday and hearing more and more! I absolutely love it; I cannot wait to experience Ethiopia!! Just curious, did you stay at the Union Hotel? I'm just saying that Abel is one PRETTY boy:)

Blessings!

Coffeybunny said...

Growing up as an African missionary kid, I experienced the Village lifestyle. Any adult anywhere can love/discipline/hug any kid, it's a different mindset. I loved growing up in Africa and the Village was a large part of my childhood happiness. I felt safe and watched out for at all times, not just with my parents. It's so great you got to experience Africa, I can't wait to go back.